Coral Expeditions Extends Cairns Indigenous Art Fair ‘Curators and Collectors’ Partnership. Coral Expeditions proudly continues as major partner of the Cairns Indigenous Art Fair program
Over the last 5 years, Coral Expeditions have proudly sponsored the Cairns Indigenous Art Fair (CIAF) and are happy to announce their continued partnership in 2022 as the major partner of the ‘Collectors and Curators’ program.
This partnership supports a key element of the annual CIAF program with the hosting of art buyers and gallery curators from major institutions nationally and globally to source art from the region.
CIAF Artistic Director Janina Harding says ‘Leading up to CIAF and the prospect of welcoming visitors back, it is timely to recognise and acknowledge our long and mutually beneficial relationship with Coral Expeditions. It’s always heart-warming to see Coral Expeditions staff take advantage of the immersive aspect of CIAF by really getting to know artists and their work.’
Coral Expeditions Commercial Director Jeff Gillies says, ‘The fair is one of the highlights of North Queensland’s event calendar and is a true ‘coming together’ of communities and cultures. We are thrilled to see the return of the physical CIAF event this year. Over the years, our partnership with CIAF has introduced us to special artists and we greatly value these connections, through which we have purchased over 70 unique artworks that are proudly on permanent display onboard our fleet’
‘This event inspires us and our guests in line with our cultural content on our voyages and we are grateful to have had a number of leading artists join us on board as special hosts during our annual Cape York, Torres Strait and Arnhem Land expedition voyages. We look forward to supporting and celebrating the arts and culture of North Queensland’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island communities throughout the year.’
Coral Expeditions offer guests the opportunity to discover the artistic heritage of remote communities on their voyages of Australia’s Northern coastline. Embarking on a series of Cape York, Arnhem Land & Torres Strait expeditions from September of this year, guests will encounter ancient art, vibrant culture and natural beauty.
● Visit Stanley Island to marvel at isolated Endaen rock art with interpretation from a traditional owner
● Land at the northernmost tip of Australia at Pajinka on Cape York for a sunset champagne toast
● On community visits to the Badu and Moa Islands, see printmakers at work at Indigenous art centres and enjoy weaving and jewellery making workshops with local artists
● In the company of a local guide, visit the remote and culturally rich Tiwi Islands to learn about Indigenous art at Elcho Island and Maningrida Art Centres
● Be immersed in the histories, culture, nature and artistic roots of Cape York, Arnhem Land and the Torres Strait
● Share time with local artists and purchase from the source in community art centres
● Cape York & Arnhem Land: Art Themed | 11 Nights | Darwin to Cairns | 30 Sep & 5 Oct 2022
● Torres Strait & Cape York | 10 Nights | Departs Cairns & Horn Island | 12 & 22 Oct 2022
● Cape York & Arnhem Land | 11 Nights | Cairns to Darwin | 23 Mar 2023
● Cape York & Arnhem Land: Art Themed | 11 Nights | Darwin to Cairns | 11 Oct 2023
● Cape York & Arnhem Land | 11 Nights | Cairns to Darwin | 31 March 2024
● Cape York & Arnhem Land: Art Themed | 11 Nights | Darwin to Cairns | 9 Oct 2024
● Torres Strait & Cape York | 10 Nights | Departs Cairns & Horn Island | 21 & 31 Oct 2024