Abercrombie & Kent Returns to Antarctica After Successful Restart in Greece and Iceland
Following a successful restart with voyages around Greece and Iceland in September, A&K will operate all four of its scheduled expedition cruises to Antarctica this season, each with a different focus: solar eclipse, climate change, family holidays and photography.
“Our Antarctica operations this year will be based in a single country, Argentina, to maintain the integrity of our itineraries and minimize any impact on the guest experience,” explains Bob Simpson, Abercrombie & Kent Vice President of Expedition Cruising. “Guests will be required to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to arrival in Buenos Aires, have a negative PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding their flight and complete an on-line health affidavit verifying vaccination and negative PCR test status. They will begin with two nights in the vibrant city of Buenos Aires, exploring on a choice of expert-led excursions curated by A&K’s local office, prior to boarding the ship in Ushuaia. We intend to deliver the same kind of rewarding experiences that have earned A&K accolades from Travel Advisors for decades; they recognize the importance of A&K’s experience operating in one of the world’s most remote places, where landing sites vary depending on weather, wind and ice conditions.”
There are a limited number of staterooms and suites on the upcoming departures available:
Antarctica & the Total Solar Eclipse Cruise
Voyage to the centre of the path of totality for the eclipse, a band that stretches through the rarely-visited South Orkney Islands. A&K’s Expedition Team selected this location: a very narrow track where the radiating “circle of light” is best seen — weather, sea and ice conditions permitting — to allow a remarkable viewing time of approximately one minute and 40 seconds.
● Learn about the science behind an eclipse from award-winning astronomer Dr. Massimo Tarenghi and former NASA astronaut Commander Susan Kilrain
● Enjoy an immersive pre-cruise stay in Buenos Aires, complete with expert-led tours of the capital city and a welcome dinner with A&K eclipse and astronomy experts
● Observe wildlife throughout the vast Southern Ocean and around the Antarctic Peninsula, from humpback whales to colonies of penguins and seals
● Engaging lectures focus on Ornithology, Marine Mammals, Geology, History and Photography
● 15 days from $18,995 per person, was $22,495; Nov 28 – Dec 12, 2021
Antarctic Cruise Adventure: A Changing Landscape
Discover the effects of rising global temperatures first hand with enthralling lectures by climate scientist Professor James McClintock. Enjoy daily Zodiac excursions to the White Continent and witness rare and thrilling wildlife up close — from lively flocks of penguins to several species of whale.
● Discover rare yet abundant wildlife — such as Adélie penguins, humpback whales and giant albatrosses — on daily Zodiac excursions
● Explore the Antarctic Peninsula for five action-packed days with adventures led by A&K’s award-winning Expedition Team
● Focus on climate change research with noted Antarctic researcher Dr. James McClintock, who offers engaging lectures on the impact of rising global temperatures on this fragile ecosystem
● Begin your journey with a two-night stay in Buenos Aires, and explore this vibrant Latin city with a choice of shore excursions
● 13 days from $12,995 per person, was $15,995; Dec 10-22, 2021
Antarctica and South Georgia Island Holiday Voyage
Share an unforgettable Christmas and New Year’s Eve while experiencing otherworldly landscapes on daily Zodiac excursions.
● Hundreds of thousands of king penguins are a memorable sight on Salisbury Plain or Gold Harbor (named for glittering seams of iron pyrite – also known as fool’s gold – in the cliffs)
● The coast of South Georgia is a treasure trove of glaciers and fjords, and Drygalski Fjord is perhaps the most scenic with a combination of towering cliffs and impossibly blue glaciers
● Dedicated Young Explorers Guides lead fun, informative, hands-on learning experiences for students
● 18 days from $19,495 per person, was $23,495; save 50% on the single supplement on stateroom categories 1-3. In addition, receive a $1,500 per-person credit on any stateroom or suite when you reserve your international air with A&K. Dec 20, 2021-Jan 6, 2022
Antarctica, South Georgia & the Falkland Islands Cruise: Photography & Exploration
Discover unspoiled South Georgia with its vast rookeries of king penguins and epic Antarctica — an ideal itinerary for photographers and explorers alike.
● Enjoy enriching photo coaching lectures and hands-on workshops with National Geographic photographer Michael Melford
● Explore historic, wildlife-rich South Georgia, with spectacular king penguin colonies and legendary sites that tell the tale of Antarctica’s greatest explorer, Sir Ernest Shackleton
● 18 days from $19,995 per person, was $23,995; save 50% on the single supplement on stateroom categories 1-3. In addition, receive a $1,500 per-person credit on any stateroom or suite when you reserve your international air with A&K. Jan 4-21, 2022
Proof of COVID-19 full vaccination is required for travellers 12 and older.
All-Inclusive Luxury Exploration
Guests appreciate the all-inclusive nature of A&K Luxury Expedition Cruises, from every meal and unlimited house drinks to complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary Traveller’s Valet® laundry service, gratuities, transfers, port charges and shore excursions. With A&K, the journey begins with a luxury stay at the Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires and a choice of expert-guided tours of “the Paris of South America.”
The eco-friendly ‘Le Lyrial’ in Antarctica boasts an ice class rating and cutting-edge technology to operate with minimal impact on the environment. In keeping with the private-yacht-like ambiance, Abercrombie & Kent further limits capacity to approximately 80% — no voyage exceeds 199 guests – ensuring each stateroom and suite has a private balcony. This affords the utmost in luxury, complete with butler service in all suites (an A&K exclusive), and an intimate 1 to 1.3 staff-to-guest ratio. The same commitment to added space is also reflected on shore excursions, with Zodiac boats limited to 8 guests, and coaches filled to 60% capacity.
Onboard, strict protocols for health and safety reflect best practices for cleanliness and disinfection established by the World Health Organization (WHO). In addition to constant and systematic cleaning and sanitizing of all areas on board, there is stringent management of air circulation with a UV sterilization system. A doctor and nurse are available 24/7 and have access to advanced hospital equipment and isolation areas.
Book With Confidence
With A&K’s flexible booking policy, travellers can book any A&K Luxury Expedition Cruise by December 31, 2021 (for travel through December 31, 2022) and have the flexibility to change travel plans up to 15 days prior to departure in the event of a COVID-19-related reason.