MSC Cruises Launches Onboard Port Information Service, New Shore Excursions
MSC Cruises has unveiled its comprehensive range of shoreside activities and services for guests of MSC Meraviglia. 19 additional Mediterranean shore excursions have been added to an already extensive range, including five exclusive tours especially designed for guests aboard MSC Meraviglia.
Finally, MSC Cruises is debuting an industry-leading Port Info service, a complimentary assistance service that will allow guests to discover and explore more of each destination with expert advice and information.
Gianluca Suprani, Head of Global Port Development and Shore Side Activities commented “Discovery is at the centre of what we do. Being able to discover multiple destinations without having to repack a suitcase is the main reason that a cruising holiday is so attractive to guests and we are delighted to be further enhancing exploration options for guests once they step ashore. Not only are we introducing new and exclusive shore excursions, but our new Port Info service is something truly ground-breaking, not offered as a complimentary service by any other cruise line.”
The introduction of a new, complimentary Port Info service offers guests a one stop destination support service. The Port Info desk will aid guests in making the very most of every itinerary destination by offering personal, tailored and expert information on what to see, where to eat, where to visit and how to get there. Not only this but the desk will also help guests to book local transportation such as train tickets, taxis or car hire to get them where they want to go or create private tours and experiences. This is an especially invaluable service in countries where guests don’t speak the local language.
MSC Cruises has developed the service through direct links with local authorities and tourism boards giving guests the most accurate and up-to-date information, as well as local insights and ‘must-see’ attractions. In addition to this, Port Info onboard crew members have been personally trained by these local experts so that they can offer tailored information and advice from personal experience.
Port Info will also highlight local events, festivals and parades allowing guests to discover the local culture and traditions. Where possible, ship port times will be adjusted to allow enough time for guests to fully experience events and get the very most out of their stay.
This service debuted on board MSC Meraviglia, with plans to extend the service onto all MSC Cruises’ ships.
To further enhance the discovery of destinations for guests, MSC Cruises has also added 19 new shore excursions, five of which are exclusive to MSC Meraviglia, to an already comprehensive range of activities across the ship’s Mediterranean destinations. These excursions have been especially developed for families and food lovers, with something to suit all ages and allow guests to experience their destinations in new and exciting ways.
MSC Meraviglia exclusive shore excursions:
• In Genoa, go behind the scenes on an exclusive tour at Italy´s largest aquarium – the perfect family day out. The tour allows you to see marine laboratories, plankton farming and jellyfish not usually accessible to the public
• In Messina, discover some of the cities’ sights including Cristo Re Church which dominates Messina’s harbour, “Piazza del Duomo” and its golden Bell Tower and nearby the Cathedral. Along the way, stop off at a number of small bars and restaurants to taste arancine (rice balls) and cannoli, a local pastry roll filled with sweet cream. End the day with a little tipple of passito, a local sweet liquor wine made from raisins
• In Naples, experience Italy like a local – highlights of the city complemented with coffee, pastry & pizza. Taste the freshet Neapolitan pizza in the San Gregorio Armeno region (known as the “street of the Nativity Scenes”), then stop to taste Scaturchio to taste the “sweet” of Naples and the famous sfogliatella (a typical Neapolitan cake), finish the day off with an authentic Neapolitan coffee at the Gran Cafè Gambrinus
New family tours include:
• In Naples, discover the ancient city of Pompeii through an interesting and educational tour of the once a thriving city frozen in time thousands of years ago after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius – wrap up the adventure with a fun question-and-answer game for the children
• In Messina, take in the sights of the city before visiting farm Villare’, famed for its barefoot walking path that lets you feel nature through five senses: Touch, Hearing, Smell, Sight and Taste—ending with a tasting of organic and local products
• In Barcelona, take to the hills and highest point in Barcelona, with its enchanting views of the city, and then thrill the children with the city’s only amusement park, Tibidabo Park with its Sky Walk rides and rollercoasters
New foodie tours include:
• In Naples discover one of the city’s best-kept secrets in the historical quarter – baking handmade pizza on the city’s subterranean geothermal rock, hot enough to bake pizza to perfection. The personal creation becomes lunch with the ability to taste some of the areas flavoursome ingredients
• In Barcelona, enjoy a truly unique gastronomic experience in the first and world’s only museum dedicated exclusively to Iberian ham where it, of course, ends in a tasting session
• In Malta, board a motorboat to embark on a relaxing sail along the scenic Maltese coastline, passing much of Valletta’s iconic waterfront sights including its Cottonera area made up of Senglea, Cospicua and Vittoriosa – collectively known as The Three Cities. Finish with a treat for the taste buds with a unique wine-tasting session with a view